Why join the Exiles?
Exiles members enjoy these benefits:
- Reduced door fees for all programs
- Discounts on safer sex supplies sold at programs
- Reciprocity with other leather organizations
- Our newsletter, The Lunatic Fringe
- Free personal ads in the newsletter
- The right to vote and become officers
Who Can Join?
All women (and those whose gender self-identity is other than male) who are over 18 are welcome. Local members must attend an Orientation before joining. The requirements are:
- Be a woman or a person whose gender self-identification is other than male
- Be over 18 years of age
- Have a personal and positive interest in bdsm
Will you Accommodate my Special Needs?
I am hard of hearing and in a wheelchair. Can you accommodate my needs? Yes, the facility is wheelchair accessible. The Exiles know that there is a large Deaf Leather community, and we are pleased to offer sign language interpretation at monthly programs and at orientation by arrangement. If you need sign language interpretation, please contact us at least a week before the meeting. To get in touch with us, please drop a line to our Orientation Officer at Orientation Officer (at) theexiles (dot) org.
How do I become a member?
To join as an individual, you must attend Orientation. This costs $10.00 to help with the rental cost for the room (no one turned away for lack of funds). In exchange, we’ll give you a free pass to an Exiles monthly program. To make things faster and easier on everyone, bring small bills if you can. You must bring a legal picture ID with you, for age verification. We start on time and do not admit latecomers, so please plan accordingly. The doors are closed shortly after the meeting begins. If you live outside the area, you can join as an associate without attending an orientation, but you don’t get all the benefits either. Here are the steps to membership:
- Attend an Exiles Orientation
- Sign a Waiver and Liability Release as part of completing the New Member form, which must be witnessed at an Orientation.
- Pay annual dues
I’ve been in the leather community for ages. Do I still need to attend an orientation?
You can skip orientation if either of the following are true:
- You have been a member of a reciprocal organization (see below) and you have a membership card or other way to prove this.
- You were previously a member of the Exiles, Outcasts, or Samois.
Otherwise you need to attend orientation. If you think you know a lot, come share that info with novices! Orientation is very interactive.
How much does it cost?
There are 4 types of membership:
- Individual: $36.00 per year from July through October
$30 as of November 1, $24 as of January 1, $18 as of March 1, $12 as of May 1
- Household: $42.00 per year from July through October: Two or more members living in the same house. After the first two, $18 per year, per person.
$35/$15 as of November 1, $28/$12 as of January 1, $21/$9 as of March 1, $14/$6 as of May 1
- Hardship: $15.00 per year from July through October: Self-defined, for those who are having financial difficulties.
$12.50 as of November 1, $10 as of January 1, $7.50 as of March 1, $5 as of May 1
- Associate: $18.00 per year from July through October
$15 as of November 1, $12 as of January 1, $9 as of March 1, $6 as of May 1
In addition to this, in addition to either the Individual or Household membership, you can be a Supporting Member. By paying an additional $30 per year up front, you get free admittance to all Exiles program meetings for the year. If you attend even half of the meetings, this is a great deal! (proration: $25 as of November 1, $20 as of January 1, $15 as of March 1, $10 as of May 1)
All memberships are due July 1, so if you join in the middle of the year, you pay a pro-rated rate.
What if I live far away and can’t attend programs, but want the other membership benefits?
If you live outside of the Bay Area (outside of these counties: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, Sonoma) and are unable to attend the Exiles Safety Orientation, you can become an Associate of The Exiles. This entitles you to and receive our monthly newsletter, The Lunatic Fringe, and attend Exiles events at the member rate. For more information contact the Membership Officer at membership (at) theexiles (dot) org.
How do I renew my membership?
Just follow the instructions on the Membership Renewal page.
My membership lapsed. How do I re-join?
If you have ever been a member of the Exiles, Outcasts, or Samois, you can simply renew your membership by following the instructions on the Membership Renewal page.
“Reciprocity” means that Exiles members get into events sponsored by reciprocal organizations at their member rate, which can be a significant savings. As of 2015, the Exiles has reciprocity with the following:
- Society of Janus
- Lesbian Sex Mafia (New York)
- Bound By Desire (Austin)
- Bad Girls of Portland
- The Threshold Society (Los Angeles)
Questions? Contact the Membership Officer at membership (at) theexiles (dot) org.